Thursday, April 23, 2015

Beating Houston Traffic and the Bay Area Writers League

Well folks, I have returned to the blog, (is anyone even reading this stuff?) with a vengeance. I know last week I promised you I would review the writing on one of my favorite shows The Following, but truthfully, I'm reserving judgement based on their new season. They have a lot of opportunity, both to make it amazing or a royal flop. Once I've made up my mind I promise to update you on that.

Normally I do a book review at the end of my blog, but today I'm going to start with it becaue it comes with a story. I recently started a job which takes me into the heart of downtown Houston. Anyone who has spent more than ten minutes on Houston roads will tell you that our worst problem is traffic. Houston is a major metropolitan area, and it sprawls like a languid fat whore, taking in anyone and anything on the outskirts of its smelly folds (that is not to say that I don't love my city more than anything). Because of this, and the massive amounts of population, one can never predict how long it will take to get from one place or another. On any given morning it can take you an hour for a ten minute trip or fifteen minutes for something that normally takes half an hour. Therefore everyone in Houston is always late, rushing and annoyed with absolutely anyone and everyone else on the road. Which makes for mighty poor drivers. This means that by the end of the two hour commute from anywhere to anywhere during rush hour traffic (yes, even if you're running to the corner store for a pack of smokes, it may take you five minutes, it may take you sixty-five), you are not a very pleasant person to be around.

Well fear no more, I have the solution. We spend all of our money on phones and tablets, GPS's and on-board communications, and we use them all (sometimes concurrently) while driving. The reason for this being that sitting in traffic for two hours can get downright dull. Of course this causes more accidents, more traffic and more annoyance for everyone involved. The Solution?

AUDIO BOOKS!

Before you go EWW those are for my Grandma, just give me a chance. First of all, who doesn't watch Game of Thrones, or isn't waiting for the new Insurgent release? You don't have to listen to Pride and Prejudice or Beowulf anymore, the world of audio books has expanded. There are books on every subject read by some of our most famous actors of stage and film. It's like being read the plot to your favorite movie by Morgan Freeman. Choose something that will hold your interest. Consequently, your nearest Half-Price books has Clearance audio books for no more than two or three dollars! What a bargain!

I was really concerned that I would not be able to survive the two hour drive (which should only take me fifteen minutes) every day on my way home. Now that I have audio books, I don't even feel the time pass. If you can arrive home relaxed, inspired and having learned something, instead of feeling like you just wasted hours of your life sitting in a car, I promise you will feel much better about driving, in Houston or anywhere else. I actually look forward to traffic now, because it gives me a chance to catch up with my favorite characters!

Audio books are now available on all your favorite listening devices and some even come free. Tired of Disc Jockeys and commercials? Not enough money for Sirius Sattelite Radio? Can't stand the latest Taylor Swift song (they play the damn things every two minutes I swear)? Then invest in an audio book on your Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Nook, Android and a multitude of audio book apps. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

REVIEW

That being said, I've been listening to this audio book by Sam Cabot named Blood of the Lamb. I read the synopsis and felt so excited to read this book. As those of you who know me can attest, I Loooooooooooove Dan Brown. He cannot write fast enough to accomodate my addiction to his work. When Cabot's book was described as a Dan Brown type thriller with vampires, I had some minor reservations but was thoroughly excited.

Well......... What can I say about Cabot's work except that I'm on the seventh CD (out of eleven) and I honestly would prefer the traffic. Dan Brown's genius (am I gushing?) is that he's constantly propelling the plot forward. It takes him one to two chapters flat to give you all the exposition you need and then it's right into the thick of it. There's always some kind of ticking clock and insidious villain ready to impede Robert Langdon's progress and we absolutely NEED to know what happens on the next page. With Cabot, I'm over halfway into the book and the most that's happened is they found a secret notebook. By now Robert Langdon would have solved the mystery and run off to some exotic place with his stock attractive female sidekick. Cabot is too busy waxing poetic about how judgy religion is and how they don't accept vampires to keep us going. I'm going to stick it out simply because I have a masochistic streak, but I can't say I highly recommend it.

NEW WORK

I recently joined the Bay Area Writers League. We meet every two week at Barnes&Noble to share and critique our work and I have to say they are a wonderful group of people. Sure they tend to talk over each other and sometimes bicker like a little family, but their individual talent and unique voices make for a strong critique group. I was truly impressed by some of the work I read from them and honestly can't believe some of them aren't published. I have asked a few of them for a full copy of their work as I can't NOT know what's going to happen next in their story. That is one of my top pet peeves (are you listening George R R Martin???? What about you ABC?), is gripping me with an outstanding and exciting story, and then either cancelling the show or taking your sweet time publishing the next book. It makes you a cock-tease. Don't do it. Just don't.

Anyway, I've started work on a novella entitled "Diary of a Caveman" (a copy of the first few pages is under the Short Stories & Blurbs section, and I am hoping to finish it in a few months. I will be self-publishing this novella on Amazon and you will be able to purchase the entire thing for no more than three dollars when it launches. I will post excerpts here as I go.

Next time I'll talk about my forum WritersBeat and one of my new favorite sites Archive of Our Own to which I am now a contributing writer. If you want to check out the Bay Area Writer's League follow them on Facebook Here

Until Next Time

READ ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment