Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Prologue of Autobiography



                I was born in a world of chaos, very different from the one I live in today. So different, in fact, that it’s almost inconceivable for two such places to share the same atmosphere. As such, after a great deal of introspection in my formative years, I find myself fractured in two separate entities which are constantly vying for control inside my mind. One half was nurtured in an environment of freedom, opportunity, plied and molded with the arrogance and blind naivety of prosperity. This half is hopeful, a believer, and she still trusts that in this world dreams can come true. The other half was hammered and twisted into shape by the chaos.
                The setting of a story is comprised of two parts: place and time. The place will take this entire novel to illustrate and even then you may not fully comprehend it. I lived it and I still don’t. The time?
                I came into this world a silent, gaunt figure, on January fifteenth, nineteen eighty-five, four years before the collapse of the Soviet Union and the fall of Communism.  I was not a gurgling, squalling baby, with pudgy cheeks and bright eyes locked on the future. Though I was born on time, I only weighed five and a half pounds and had a sallow, yellow tint to my skin. I was not the first baby born underweight and with dark circles that year, nor would I be the last. After my first few breaths, I was rushed from the birthing room before my mother had a chance to see me, and I joined the other incubated children who had little hope.
                Many women in that place would suffer the same fear as my mother, unable to hold or even see their newborns because of our medical conditions. And of course the greater fear of how to feed their children if they did survive. Most likely, nine months before, when my parents shared the news of their pregnancy, the most popular statement had been a heartfelt: “Oh I’m sorry. Did you want it?” There was little joy in bringing a new life into such a place.
                The place was Bucharest, Romania, the capitol of a third world country, the last hold out against the force of Soviet influence we have come to know as the Iron Curtain. Communism still reigned supreme, and the cult of personality was a way of life for us. The situation outside my little birthing room was an uncertain and dangerous thing, ripe for violence. It would take four more years for the cauldron to boil and burst, and when it did, the fate of a nation was altered and my life would never be the same.  
                Yet, I knew none of this as my tiny body was prodded with needles and tubes, and neither did the thin, blond woman who awaited my return. She had been a gymnast in her younger days, lithe, tall and graceful even years later. The chaos had stolen a spark from her wild eyes and robbed the thrill of hope from her heart, though her beauty could never be completely erased. The nurses would have described her as giving, mostly because she had money to bribe them with, and more than a little scary. Sometimes, she resembled a feral animal, pacing the shared room like a caged beast. There was a constant restlessness about her, as though some inner fire would not give her peace. She was a doer, in a world standing still.
                If I could comprehend such things, I would have missed my mother in that first month. She and my father had paid a good deal of under the table money to keep her in the hospital that long. It was a bitter, record-breaking winter, and most days there was no heat or water in the city. Children and elderly died by the dozens, victims of the cruel cold and substandard conditions. They were expendable, only the workforce mattered.    
                This is only a small glimpse into the chaos. The horrors that I will enumerate here will sometimes seem ludicrous to you, impossible that anyone could accept them, much less live them for twenty-five years. Yet this is not a story about those horrors, of defeat, a story about the side of me ruled by chaos. This is a story about survival, about thriving and rising above the odds. This is a story about how that other half was born. A story about a hero.      

No comments:

Post a Comment