Thursday, April 23, 2015

I Defeated the Dreaded Blank Page

It has taken me a long time to decide what to post as my first actual blog on here.  I have started at least three blogs and abandoned all of them in the past, as I’m sure some of you have as well. The idea of blogging is extremely alluring, “I’ll just put all my opinions and thoughts on there and everyone will love me for it!” So you spend three hours customizing and decorating your blog, deciding what to name it, writing your biography, all that great stuff. Then that terrifying moment comes when you are faced with a blank page and all you can ask yourself is “what ARE my thoughts and opinions… on ANYTHING?”
                So instead of endless ramblings about my beginnings and what I intend to write on this blog, I’m just going to jump right in.

                CURRENT PROJECT

                I recently completed my first novel entitled CHANGERS, about a dystopian world in which people are neither male nor female, but can alter their sex at will. The idea started in the back of my best friend’s car, as we were driving from Huntsville to Houston. At the time we had been religiously addicted to the show “Misfits” on HuluPlus (if you haven’t watched it, DO). In the show several teenage delinquents are struck by lightning and receive superhero-like powers. One of them is given the ability to change sexes but still maintain his consciousness. In our fervent discussion of how that would work in real life, the idea for CHANGERS was born. What if there was a world, without sexual bias or gender prejudice whatsoever? What if our minds could fully comprehend the nature of both sexes and make no distinction between the two? What if two people could pledge themselves to one another without the label of gay, lesbian, heterosexual, bisexual, etc. What if we didn’t need those words anymore, because gender was only an unimportant bit of flesh? The physical body could manifest itself however you want it, but it did not define the soul inside. Two hearts could unite in absolute equality because they could be together in any sexual form, erasing the dominate and submission lines which are characteristic of our everyday lives.
                This is the entire idea behind CHANGERS, and to facilitate this sense of unification, I needed a word which would erase the ugly “he/she” label and stand for the person as a whole, regardless of their sex. The word I found (and by found, I mean completely invented) is “eyh”. It does conjugate in a familiar way, (eyhm, eyhself, eyh’s) and it is a word we desperately need in our modern world.
                Of course this world I have described, so far carries no conflict, (and who the hell wants to read that?). So my peaceful utopia of Changers is ravaged by an epidemic called “The Great Affliction” which causes some to lose their ability to shift and become trapped in either male or female form. This creates what are crudely known as “Genders”. Social injustice and upheaval ensues, and soon my little corner of heaven is plunged into civil war.
                If you are interested in reading CHANGERS, please use the CONTACT form and shoot me an e-mail, or check out the CHANGERS section where I will be posting excerpts from the novel.

                FUTURE PROJECTS

                I recently joined the Bay Area Writers League, and we meet every Thursday to discuss and critique new work and help each other progress in our writing. As such, I can’t just keep recycling old sestinas or CHANGERS excerpts so I have started work on a new novel. It is an idea that came to me a while back, when I watched a documentary on the early beginnings of mankind (thank you National Geographic).
                The novel is called “Diary of a Caveman” (working title), and it quite literally delivers on that title. Portrayed as a translation of one of the oldest records of written word in history, the journal chronicles the attempts of a caveman to invent language and describe his everyday life. Of course in the beginning it’s a lot of hunting, gathering and descriptions of the animals he interacts with, soon his world becomes more complicated than he expected. With the arrival of a female of his kind, and a ferocious predator who stalks him with intent, his life becomes less and less manageable.
                I will post some excerpts of Diary of a Caveman on here after I receive some feedback from the League. As always any responses, critiques, comments or rude remarks are welcome. I am always looking to improve.

                REVIEW

                Normally, on this section, I will post a review of either a book, show or movie I have recently experienced. The review will mostly focus on the writing, but I can’t help but have some opinions on acting  because let’s face it, actors have opinions on acting.         
                This week I am reading Michelangelo’s Notebook by Paul Christopher. It’s the first appearance of heroine Finn Ryan, a beautiful Art History intern with a nose for trouble. This book focuses on her discovery of a page she thinks came from Michelangelo’s famous and supposedly lost notebook. The discovery sends her on a Robert Langdon-esque hunt for the truth which ends in the bowels of the Vatican.
 Honestly, so far I’m trudging through this one. It should be an easy, breezy read, because it flows really nicely and jumps right into the action. Finn Ryan is a predictable heroine, in my opinion. She is young, smart, attractive, spunky and so far completely flawless except for being verbally combative. She comes across as one dimensional, and (dare I say it?) cliché, paling in comparison to Dan Brown’s exquisitely complicated and ever flawed Robert Langdon who is always a joy to read. I guess the moral here is write compelling characters, which come across as real people. If they’re all statuesque blondes with a PHD, we’ll give up on the second page because we can’t relate.
Later this week I will do a review of the writing on the popular show “The Following”, which I am currently marathoning on Netflix. The new season just started and I wanted to catch up. If you have any thoughts on “The Following” or Michelangelo’s Notebook, or if you have any ideas on what you would like me to review next, use the CONTACT form and I will take a look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment